It has been a busy month of emptying looms from the 2021 season, as well as working on a book translation. We’re also polishing up our next video class, Vävstuga Bandloom, to be published this spring.
Lithuanian linen book is back
We’re pleased to have the popular book A Flaxen Past back in stock. This beautiful book covers an unusually broad scope of topics relative to the intensely rich heritage of Lithuanian weaving. Meet numerous Lithuanian individuals who have carried on the weaving tradition from centuries past, and examine extensive details of the textiles they create for their pattern-rich national costumes. Delve into a treasure trove of rescued old photographs from the early 1900s showing all processes of turning flax into fabric. The back section of the book includes charted weaving designs, as well as detailed instructions for growing, processing, and weaving with your own flax.
February book sale, 20% off Vävstuga Press titles
For the remainder of the month of February (from Feb 4–28), all our Vävstuga Press books are 20% off. Becky founded the Vävstuga Press as a way to provide access to rare and out-of-print Swedish weaving books, and to create English translations of books currently only available in Swedish.
Väv Immersion early-application deadline
Early applications for our 8-week intensive Väv Immersion 2022 are due February 14. This in-depth program reinforces the historic lineage of Scandinavian hand weaving through a range of educational opportunities including: personalized instruction with master weavers, hands-on production of numerous textile projects, attendance at intimately-sized classes that focus on an extensive array of skills, and connection to Immersion alumni from past years to build out your network and for learning how to move into this field as a professional.
- Melvenea’s blog — an enthusiastic account from one of the weavers in our 2021 cohort
- More details and the application
Basics Video Class glowing reviews
We’ve received some heartwarming testimonials about our new Vävstuga Basics class video series. Here are a few tiny snippets:
- “When I left your in-person class earlier this fall, I told you that there was no way the video could be as good as an in-person class. Well, I was wrong! …”
- “…Even though I was trained on jack looms, and continue to work on them, learning from Becky exponentially deepened my understanding of all weaving …”
- “…As a real beginner, I’ve found the additional reinforcement crucial to keeping me weaving when I’m not sure what to do. Becky is an amazing teacher, and her language and style are consistent between in-person and virtual classrooms, which I find incredibly helpful. …”
- Read more testimonials »
We appreciate your business
As we are still a little short-staffed and our supply chain affected due to Covid-19, it may take a bit longer than our promised 2–3 days to get your orders out. We ask for your patience and are grateful for your loyalty. Thank you all!
We’ve been enjoying some lovely winter weather around the Farmhouse.